Saturday, October 22, 2011



Sometimes you just have to take the plunge.  After several years of snooping around Sapelo Farms' website, I  inquired about an opening in their CSA program and joined.  Once a week for six weeks I will pick up my box of vegetables - whatever is in season and ready to be harvested.  I figured we would have to expand our palate a bit, and I was right.  This week was heavy what looks to be a ton of greens for salads, radishes, a cucumber, a couple of winter squash and two other items I've never laid eyes on in my life.  

The first new veggie is tatsoi.  I have never even heard of it, let alone know how to cook it.  Thankfully, Sapelo Farms enclosed a simple recipe to try - a pasta dish that uses tatsoi much like spinach is used in chicken Florentine.  The other mystery vegetable looked like over ripe green beans, but with a thinner shell and funky colored.  I surmised that they were field peas, which I had had before but had never seen un-shelled.  Honestly, they look far more like a bean than a traditional pea to this Yankee girl.  I KNOW how to cook those like a Southerner - throw them in a pan with a little water and bacon and I'm good to go.

Here's to the Eades attempt to support small, local farmers and eat fresh from the field vegetables.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment