Saturday, January 2, 2010

I hereby resolve...

Hmmm....I don't make New Year resolutions any more. I think the lackadaisical attitude comes with being 40ish and having seen so many unsuccessful resolutions come and go in my younger years. However, this year I'm going to set some goals...some big, some little, and some just plain silly; but here is the beginning of my list.

1. Learn to use my phone. Yes, I know...most of you talk to me on my phone and I CAN use it to call people, but I really am going to use the features on it. I selected this phone so I could consolidate gadgets and not have to take my mp3 player AND my phone into the gym. I tried to upload some podcasts, only to have just the first few minutes of each one actually show up in the play list. Grrr....I WILL conquer my phone.

2. Learn to use my Christmas presents. Yes, I must have been a good girl this year... I got a Flip! Isn't that fun?! Supposedly they are amazingly simple, so I should be in good shape, but we must never underestimate my ability to be a complete technology dunce. You'll know if I succeed here...if I post videos. I also received a French press coffee maker from my daughter. I'm still perfecting my skill at getting just the perfect brew, but stop in any time and I'll make us a pot.

3. Plan menus ahead. I have been trouble shooting some issues in my life. For many years I was on top of things (or at least I was compared to now) and felt much more at peace. Then the kids grew up, schedules got complicated, we weren't eating the things the way I had planned and the pendulum swung the other way. I gave up planning (well...the plans never worked out so why continue) and now I rarely know what we are eating at the next meal. Thus, we end up eating out more than we should, simply because I am paralyzed in the kitchen. This year, I'm going to try to plan flexible meals that will work into our schedule if we are home or can be made at a later date without wasting ingredients. I may even try to cook ahead and freeze some meals.

4. Blog more. I saw that for less than $20 I could have my blog from last year made into a book. I would love to do an annual "this is our life" book to pass on to my grandchildren some day. But let's be real; at this point, those grandkids would just see how scattered I am and how inconsistently I post here.

5. Decorate, really decorate for Christmas next year. I've only given it a half hearted effort for too many years. Next year, I'm going all out. If I say it all year long...maybe then it will happen.

That's all I can think of right now. I reserve the right to add to my list. How 'bout you...what are your goals for the new year?

3 comments:

  1. Ugh...and #6 should be to learn how to move pictures around at blogspot. I have tried and tried to get that train picture down just a tad more and can't. Gotta quit playing and go get some laundry done

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have issues with picture adding on my blog too, so don't be to tough on yourself, since I'm considered a tech guru in my work life...ha! Didn't know about the blog book, that's a great tip you've given me! And I'm with you on the meals...I need to vow not to pick chicken nuggets or fish sticks out of the freezer for a month and see what happens! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, regarding the picture dilemma, the key is adding from a URL (photo-sharing site like Picasa) rather than from your computer's hard drive. Gives you much more flexibility in sizing and placement.

    Natalie, you amaze me with all you do ... but that French Press coffee thing, well, now you are my hero!!

    ReplyDelete