Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Making the Grade

On December 31, 2009 I publicly set some goals for 2010. If I remember correctly, I even reflected on them mid-year. Today is the day of reckoning and it's not looking pretty.

#1 was to learn to use my phone. I'd have to say D+. I have learned to use a few additional features (it's now my alarm clock) but I have NOT successfully used it to listen to podcasts and music, which was my intent when I made this a goal last year. I have decided that since every other person in the house has some kind of Apple device and all music is stored in iTunes, I'm fighting a wickedly uphill battle to convert what I want to mp3 and get it onto my devices. Now, shall I be like my son and just hold out for Verizon to get the iphone or should I just confiscate Victoria's shuffle that she no longer uses (because she upgraded to an iTouch)?

#2 was learn to use my Christmas presents. This may be my best grade - say B+. I'm pretty savvy with the Flip, because it's so easy to use. I can post video here to my blog or to facebook. I probably don't use it enough, but I have documented Hannah's riding and Victoria's dance pretty well with the Flip. I also can make a pretty delicious cup of coffee in the French Press if you are inclined to like your brew on the strong side (I do). Just let me know you're stopping by, and I'll be sure to swing by Starbucks and pick up some fresh, coursely ground Pike Place Blend.

#3 is an undeniable F. Regarding menu planning, or my lack there of, I'm just going to plead the Fifth.

#4 was to blog more. Based strictly on numbers (and I have no idea how else to evaluate this one) I have another failing grade. I started blogging at Blogspot in February '09 and had 54 entries posted that year. In '10 had a measly 49 entries. What can I say - F.

#5 was to really go all out for Christmas. This is a tough one. I'd have to say a B-. While I'm not sure I went all out, I did make some efforts that I had simply given up on in previous years. For the first time since moving into this house, I unpacked ALL the Precious Moments porcelain ornaments and used them on the tree. I went with a white/pastel theme and was pleased with the result. I also decided to add one new element that I really love to my Christmas decor each year. This year, I had a beautiful silk arrangement made for a wedding shower that I hosted. Then the designer added some Christmas elements for the holidays, leaving me a very large new addition to my Christmas decor. I was thrilled with the result until Patrick, Mr. Practical himself, said, "Where are you going to store that?" Details, details. I try not to let those things bother me. For now at least, I'm thinking of turning it around, hiding the "Christmas-y" part, and letting it be a "winter arrangement". Aren't I clever?

Overall, I'd have to say I did a pretty lousy job keeping last year's resolutions. This year I may have to try some that are a bit more quantitative. Maybe if I'm a little more specific, I'll be more inclined to succeed. That will be a blog post for another day.

2 comments:

  1. I follow a blogger that is up in NYC, she's in PR but is a very good writer and although I know when it comes to some values and lifestyle we are completely apart, she writes in a way I can understand. She did a wonderful post on this subject - she came up with a word for the year. Her's - Balance. Good one. Here's a link to her post on it. http://www.mom-101.com/2011/01/new-years-revolutions.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mom-101%2FBDOX+%28Mom-101%29

    She has two girls close to my boys age and so I've been following her about a year. I have been avoiding reviewing my resolution post...gulp...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, did you ever review your resolutions? How'd they look?

    ReplyDelete