Tuesday, May 26, 2009

To Patrick: 20 for our 20th

Twenty short years ago we embarked on a journey, and what an amazing odyssey it has been! Since that hot, May afternoon when we said "I do", we have traversed waters we never dreamed existed, and have created a beautiful life.

I'm stealing an idea from my sweet niece and in honor of our 20th wedding anniversary am presenting 20 reasons I am blessed to have YOU for a husband.

1. You have an amazing gift for loving people! People make me crazy...but your patience and compassion have no limits.

2. You are a man of the Word! I can hardly remember a day passing in 20 years that I haven't seen you with your Bible open (or seen you scrolling down your Palm). Truly, you set an incredible example for the kids and I.

3. You are one of THE punniest people I know. Though I often groan outwardly...secretly I love your jokes.

4. You watch Jane Austen movies (over and over again) with me...and I even think you like them.

5. You love baseball. And I love baseball. Doesn't that work out swimmingly?!?

6. Despite my grandmother's prophesy to the contrary 20 years ago, you still open the car door for me...each and every time we go somewhere. Chivalry is not dead! You are my knight in shining armor!

7. You let me have whatever I think I need for homeschooling...and never complain about how much it costs. You are a prize!

8. Similarly, you don't complain that our house looks like a library (albeit a messy one) and books are everywhere!

9. You are amazingly understanding when the laundry gets behind or the house stays cluttered. If you think ill of me and my homemaking skills, you never let on. Thanks...I'm trying, really I am.

10. You have the most astonishing connection with teens. I love your heart that sacrifices your time to communicate God's truth to them. This county and school system are incredibly blessed to have you here!

11. You see value in everyone's life...even pre-born lives! Carenet and LifeSteward Ministries found a gem when they found you! This country is blessed to have you here!

12. You have a heart for the nations! You aren't afraid to give up the normal conveniences of life in America to go to the nations and preach the gospel. The world is blessed to have you here!

13. You eat anything I cook with nary a complaint. No matter what my latest food quirk is...you just eat what's in front of you. Thank you for making my life easier.

14. You take care of yourself physically and are in great shape. You are a runner...and runners amaze me. Seriously, I hate running (but you know that) and I think it's great that you can crawl out of bed ridiculously early, take the dog and run. Keep up the good work!

15. You can fix anything! Your tinkering used to scare me, but now I have complete confidence in your abilities.

16. Similarly, you are a computer genius. I am in awe of the breadth of your knowledge of hardware, software and host of other things about which I am completely ignorant.

17. You are a terrific father to four of the most beautiful children to ever grace the planet (I'm the mom...so I can say that). From birthday lunches to the rotating Friday breakfast dates, the kids know that they are valued by you and that you always have time for them.

18. You love me. Many days I don't know why or how, but you do. You have loved me through times of incredible grief and times of great happiness. Your steadfast love is a comfort to me.

19. You watch musicals with the girls and I. From funny ones like Hello Dolly to more serious ones like Fiddler on the Roof...you've seen them all, and you tolerate us singing the songs, over and over when they get stuck in our head.

20. Marrying you has made me a better person. In the words of a song from Wicked (a musical I have yet to share with you), "I do believe I have been changed for the better" just by having you as my husband. I can't imagine my life without you.

You are a treasure...and I'm blessed to be your wife, friend and lover. Happy 20th Anniversary!

4 comments:

  1. Natalie, reading that makes kicking him out of that meeting tonight one of the most proud moments of my life! You two are among my most admired people and I am better for having you both in my life. Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary Natalie and Patrick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Aunt Natalie and Uncle Patrick! I love reading your list because it shows so beautifully how many ways love can be felt and shown in a marriage. It is so encouraging to hear your tender, loving heart after twenty years together! Here's to many more years of growing in your love for one another and our Lord!
    P.S. You are sweet to refrence my blog! Isn't it a blessing to take the time to notice the blessings and love?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend together. This is by far one of the sweetest tributes I have every read, and from my years of being blessed to be a part of this family - I know all too well that every word of it is true. Patrick is an amazing man and all of us in the family are so very lucky you won him as your prize. Congrats to both of you on 20 years of bliss and I will raise my glass to the many more you will have together!

    ps. Katie (of Dan and Katie)...I just LOVE that song you have on your blog - one of my worship FAVORITES!

    ReplyDelete